Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Free C++ Compiler

Borland C Builder is my first programming tool where I learned about it during my first semester in university. I never knew that they (Borland) are providing a free command line compiler till today when I searched for a command line compiler, after working for a couple of months in linux environment. Getting used to command line environment, I wish to have a convenient compiler in my Windows command prompt to compile some simple utility program I've written. I guess I've found the best around. And, it's free! You can download it here.

Please recommend me if you know any other better free C++ compilers around.

Note that this (v5.5) is not the latest (v6.0) version of Borland C Compiler and help files are not included for free version.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

I like to use Dev C++ of bloodshed.net. :)

I considered Borland also, but I heard b4 that different company compilers have slightly difference in their std libraries, right?

3:56 PM  
Blogger EngLee said...

Wow, Bloodshed.net is providing free C++ compiler, together with source code. I'll spend some time to explore it when I'm free.

There will be differences between compilers. I've an experience to make sample codes in Microsoft Visual C++ to run in Borland C Builder. It took me hours. I'm not very sure about differences between Borland and Bloodshed, yet.

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have played around with Dev C++, the Visual C++ 2005 beta and the borland command line compiler. I think I prefer the Dev C++ as it is quite lightweight and has a small editor built into it. I found Visual C++ very hard to get working and it required so much hdd space. Now i'm on Linux, so it's gcc for me!

5:04 PM  
Blogger EngLee said...

From your opinion, I can see that Dev C++ should be the right one for me! Since working in linux environment, I began to dislike those bulky programs that requires lots of resources.

Thanks for sharing. :)

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er what's wrong with GCC?

g++ -o noobs noobs.cpp

6:41 PM  
Blogger EngLee said...

Just went to GCC website. GCC is available for Windows. It has to run under cygwin. Would it be better than Dev C++?

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't cygwin just give you the ability to complile Linux based software under Windows? Unless you really like gcc it would would seem easier just to continue with Borland.

12:21 AM  
Blogger EngLee said...

Yes, it has to be compiled using cygwin. I will continue with Borland or maybe Dev C++. Use GCC when I'm in my RedHat.

Might want to explore more about cygwin to know more about it. :)

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Can't find what you want? Search it here!


Google
 
Web lifeasprogrammer.blogspot.com