Saturday, August 13, 2005

Installing AMSN in Red Hat 9

Installing programs in Windows environment is so much easier, if to be compared to installation for RedHat9 (RH9). Since I've installed my RH9 two month ago, I run on Web Messenger to chat with my friends. I find it troublesome to run on webmessenger each time I want to chat with my friends. Thru googling, I found AMSN for linux.

Thus, I downloaded the RPM for Red Hat 9, then double-clicked on it. A progress bar showed up, then gone. Nothing else happened. I try the command line instead this time,

rpm -ivh <the rpm>

These messages were displayed.

warning: amsn_0.94-1.1.fc3.rf_i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 6b8d79e6error: Failed dependencies:
/usr/bin/tclsh is needed by amsn-0.94-1.1.fc2.dag
/usr/bin/wish is needed by amsn-0.94-1.1.fc2.dag
libtcl8.4.so is needed by amsn-0.94-1.1.fc2.dag
libtk8.4.so is needed by amsn-0.94-1.1.fc2.dag
tcl >= 8.3 is needed by amsn-0.94-1.1.fc2.dag
tk >= 8.3 is needed by amsn-0.94-1.1.fc2.dag


Then only I learned that there are dependencies during program installation in Linux. Guess it will be easier after installed a number of RPMs like those. Spend some time searching to fix those problem. And I found this RPM resource site for AMSN. That's what you will ever need to install MSN!

I heard from my friend that GAIM has support for MSN. But, I can't find the configuration on my GAIM version. Maybe the newer version of GAIM, probably those in Fedora Core. Or maybe I should upgrade my GAIM.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been using amsn for some time already, in BSD and even in my Windows box. It's nice and simple. Gaim does support MSN too. You can use GAIM if you want to access yahoo messenger, msn and stuff simultaneously. :)

6:35 PM  
Blogger EngLee said...

Thanks for sharing and dropping by! :)

8:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Can't find what you want? Search it here!


Google
 
Web lifeasprogrammer.blogspot.com