Wednesday, June 22, 2005

RedHat 9

After spending 3 nights installing Red Hat 9, I'm currently using my linux version of Mozilla Firefox to post this blog. I'm just one of the normal consumer who's using Microsoft Windows XP all the time. Although I've tried Mandrake and other version of RedHat, but still I'm using Windows. I can hardly find somebody who's using linux, here in Malaysia.

Here, I'm going to share my experience when installing RedHat. I knew RedHat.com is offering Fedora for free, but, what I'm thinking is that RedHat9 should have more functionalities for me to explore, especially server functions, compared to Fedora which is focusing more on personal users.

Preparation

I downloaded RedHat9 CD image from www.linuxiso.org and burned the image files into CDs (3 of them all together). Then I clear one of my hard disk partition which has the size of around 4 gigabytes. That's the minimum you would need for a complete version of RedHat9.

Installation

Boot up my PC with the first installation CD in my drive. After all the loadings, you will see a page to select installation modes. Since I'm a beginner, I went for 'linux' as for graphical interface installation. I guess that would be the best way, unless you have problems with your AGP driver in linux. Unfortunately, I'm one of them with the problem. I'm running on Radeon 9600. The installer detected (probed) my graphic card as VESA (Generic). I guess, that's the default one. My screen turned black and green afterwards. As I tried to move my mouse, my PC turned back to the graphical screen and I saw some error messages before my PC rebooted.

In my second attempt, I entered 'linux noprobe' instead of 'linux' and I finally managed to enter the anaconda (the GUI installer). I didn't do anything different from the first attempt, but I managed to enter the GUI. I didn't add any device when the installer prompted me to do so. After entering the GUI, everything was easy (this should apply on most Windows users, right?).

Starting Up

After I've done with the start up settings, I setup my network for connection to my router. In few seconds, I was already surfing the net. I downloaded Radeon 9600 driver from ATI Support Site. The site will provide you with all the guides you will ever need to install the driver. I'm saying so because I don't even know how to 'unzip' the files, but I still managed to install the driver with the guide provided by ATI!

Restarted my PC after installing the driver. I find that my mouse is not working. I followed the instruction in the guide that asked my to run 'fglrxconfig' after installed the driver. I've configured my mouse to an incorrect option. When I attempted to move my mouse, the cursor moved and clicked uncontrollably. Keep on having the same problem after few restarts. This really upset me at that time. I tried to changed to text mode (by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1) to see if there's anything to be done there, but it did not help at all. In my final attempt, I didn't touch my mouse, but I'm able to get myself to desktop after selecting the correct display resolution and color depth (as required by 'fglrxconfig') using keyboard only. Then, I changed my mouse setting and restarted my PC again.

Finally, I have my RedHat9 running without problems (and that took 3 nights from me)! A bad experience for a Windows user to install Linux...

Recommended Materials:
BDG PUBLISHING Mastering RedHat 9 (PC/Linux)
Official Redhat Linux User's Guide, Revision 4.0

12 Comments:

Blogger devilwitattitude said...

could u like tell me how to set up streamyx on linux.. I am using fedora, but i guess the process should be the same. I have tried all way spossible and i still cant get it running. U can either mail me, leave a comment at my site or do a shout out at my chat box...thx

11:33 PM  
Blogger EngLee said...

Check your shoutbox for my reply. Thanks for posting!

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out here:

http://myoss.iosn.net/ - MYOSS Meetup

http://mag.my-opensource.org - MYOSS Magazine

9:18 AM  
Blogger EngLee said...

I know about Fedora. Just that I want to try RedHat9 first. I'm expecting more features in RedHat9 compared to Fedora. Thanks for acknowledging.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude.. How can there be more features in Redhat9 as compared to Fedora Core 4? It's akin to saying AirAsia has better service than Singapore Airlines.

Even so, why does it even take 3 nights to install Redhat9? It's not like you're compiling everything from source like Gentoo or another source based distribution.

IIRC Redhat 9 is like nearly 3 years Old? akin to using Windows 95 and trying to install Windows95 using an ATI 9600 card, of course it's not supported. :-)

If you want something simple and which works out of the box, I say you try out Ubuntu Linux or Fedora Core 4. You'll get it up and running with no fuss in 30 min to 1 hour (depending on what you want installed.)

If ever you think there's no one using Linux in Malaysia, I urge you to come to the Monthly MyOSS Meetup (you can see the link another dude[files] commented)

In addition to that, you don't have to restart your PC, all that's needed is to restart the XDM/GDM/KDM (the display/window manager which you use)

Did I forget to mention the lowyat.net Open Source Forums?

Don't also forget the There's even a MalaysianOSS Magazine. Home Grown and Supported by the community for the Community!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Yoon Kit said...

> I'm expecting more features
> in RedHat9 compared to Fedora.

You'd probably find more features
in FC4 rather than in RedHat9
as its several 'generations' ahead of it.

Anyway, I still have a coupla servers
on RH9, chugging along.
Installation was OK, but I guess
it was with hardware of that era ;-)

yk.

yk

9:58 AM  
Blogger EngLee said...

OK OK. I'll move on to Fedora soon. This is just my second installation of Linux OS.

To be true, I've seen a number of servers in Malaysia running on old version of RedHat. I'm afraid there will be alot of changes in Fedora. So, I'm trying out RedHat9 first.

10:02 AM  
Blogger EngLee said...

Thanks for sharing your experience in Linux and visiting my blog. I'm glad to learn more as I'm just a beginner in Linux. :)

Btw, is Fedora Core 4 performing well in servers?

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are Linux users in Malaysia, trouble is finding em, but we are growing. People have already posted links to where most of the OSS users are located, so do drop by our blogs or even our meetups.

BTW I use Ubuntu 5.04, really nice :3

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah.. FC4 can be used for servers, but the difference between FC and Redhat(regardless of which version) is one is Free (as in Free Beer/Teh Tarik) and the other is Free (as in speech).

You have to pay for the updates, which will last as long as 3-5 years. (though RH9 has End-of-Life a long time ago)

FC's release cycle is somewhere between 9-18 months. (I'm not sure since I don't use it. I use Gentoo)

Well, 2nd installation or otherwise, let us know how we can help. The M'sian Open Source / Free Software Community is always around.

Drop by IRC (irc.freenode.net) and join us for a chat in #myoss

10:05 PM  
Blogger EngLee said...

Glad to have your visit. I'll definitely need you all's advice in my future installation to avoid spending so much time on something rather old. Hehe!

10:42 PM  
Blogger EngLee said...

You can go directly to paulooi.com and look for his email.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Can't find what you want? Search it here!


Google
 
Web lifeasprogrammer.blogspot.com